Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Current Language Arts Journey-Part 1 (AAT and LA)

Hi there, I am back to blogging after some rest away from Blogger. Today, I will be writing about my current language arts journey, which in other words, my feelings about Secondary 2 Language Arts till now.

Firstly, I will be talking about the targets which I posted in a different blog post. My targets are quite achievable up to now for Language Arts, with my Language Arts teacher asking a question after every answer, we can definitely get good grades with a lot of attention paid. Somehow, I feel that Language Arts is related to Art and Acts of Thinking, AAT, a different subject in Hwa Chong Insitution. This is because, we are taught to think. After each question, we would be asked another question to think on. This improves thinking as we don't see the things on the outer surface, but in the inner surface of the text. For example, in a passage, we get the direct meaning of a word, for example, "Staggered". Many may think that it is just some plain text with a meaning. However, this word has hidden meanings. The author used these words to convey a special message. We were required to think of why the author used this word and not what the word meant. Through this, we found out that the words used were used for a specific purpose. For example, as I said, "Staggered", not only makes the passage more descriptive, but sometimes, also make readers curious why this guy is staggering. We can conclude that he is injured. If he is injured, the mood must be something negative. This word contributes to the negative mood in the passage, thus, when being an author, we have to use words to convey a hidden message, not just use that word for descriptive writing. Therefore, we have to incorporate the mood with the word with thinking. The final conclusion of this blog post? AAT and LA are somehow related as I felt. It is not just that both are in English and have Oral participation points, but are similar in a way of thinking. Both requires a mind that is working fully, a mind that can deduce explicit meanings of few words. This is why I also feel that this Language Arts Journey is full of knowledge and will also help develop the human mind. The lessons were very well taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment